How to Help Someone Who is Threatening Suicide
• Get involved. Become available. Show interest and support.
• Ask if he/she is thinking about suicide. Talk openly and freely about suicide.
• Be direct but empathetic. Be nonjudgmental and never dare them to do it.
• Be willing to listen. Allow for expression of feelings. Accept the feelings.
• Don’t debate whether suicide is right or wrong, or feelings are good or bad.
• Don’t ask ‘why’ or act shocked. This encourages defensiveness.
• Offer hope that alternatives are available. Do not offer glib reassurance.
• Take action! Remove means! Get help from individuals or agencies specializing in suicide prevention/intervention.